POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A Question about water : Re: A Question about water Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:24:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Question about water
From: Chris Huff
Date: 5 Dec 2000 20:30:40
Message: <chrishuff-2338CA.20312405122000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a2d819b$1@news.povray.org>, "Randolph Robnett"
<rro### [at] midwestnet> wrote:

> Any ideas about making water look as though it is funneling or
> spiralling as in a whirlpool. The trick is that it needs to be
> 3-dimensional and not just look 3D. Any suggestons would be
> appreciated.

There was a thread a while ago about doing this with isosurfaces...in
povray.unofficial.patches, I think, but I couldn't find the exact thread.
The code I came up with in that thread could still be improved, but here
it is:

#declare Vortex =
function {
    y+(1/(sqr(x)+sqr(z)+0.3))
    +sin(atan2(x,z)*7 + y*10)*0.025
}

isosurface {
    function {Vortex(x,y,z)}
    threshold 0
    eval
    max_gradient 4
    contained_by {box {<-5,-5,-5>, < 5, 1, 5>}}
    pigment {color rgb < 0.5, 0.85, 1>}
}

--
Christopher James Huff