POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Fast media sampling : Re: Fast media sampling Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fast media sampling
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 12 Jul 2002 15:29:40
Message: <chrishuff-1B19F3.14265712072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d2f1e0c@news.povray.org>, "Slime" <slm### [at] slimelandcom>
wrote:

> Now, I'm aware that other programs like lightwave are able to create this
> effect much faster than POV-Ray does. But how do they do it? I'd be
> interested in reading a bit about the algorithm used. Obviously it's not
> just sampling a ray at intervals, because that would be as slow as POV-Ray
> is about it. Does anyone know how it's done with other programs?

As you said, they don't sample a ray. Most likely, they use a scanline
method, projecting layers of media onto the screen to build up an
additive media effect.
Also, those programs are able to use assembly level optimizations and
SIMD instructions, which POV can't take advantage of.

> And is there a reason why POV-Ray doesn't implement one of these other
> techniques?

POV-Ray is a raytracer, not a scanline renderer. (Persistance Of Vision
*Raytracer*)

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/