POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Constrained motion : Re: Constrained motion Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:24:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Constrained motion
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 1 Oct 2002 10:29:10
Message: <chrishuff-1ADA6D.10262801102002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d99a874@news.povray.org>,
 "Andrew Coppin" <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote:

> But... suppose the object is contrained to the X-Y plane. (And let's suppose
> that whatever mechanism "constrains" it has no friction - impossible but
> simpler to compute ;-) What do we do now? Do we just write V = <5, -7, 0>
> and continue as usual? Or does something more ellaborate need to be done?

The component of force perpendicular to the plane can be ignored. If you
have a perfect horizontal plane and the only force on a ball sitting on
it is gravity, the ball won't move, and if there is no friction, the
gravity won't affect the force required to move it in any direction
parallel to the plane.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/