POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Fluid simulation : Re: Fluid simulation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fluid simulation
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 27 Oct 2002 14:26:55
Message: <chrishuff-17184C.14192827102002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3dbbc274@news.povray.org>,
 "Andrew Coppin" <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote:

> Simple question: is it possible to simulate the motion of a liquid (e.g.,
> water), or is the math just too hellishly difficult without the help of a
> supercomputer?

It is not hard to do a very simplified simulation. You could use a
particle system with completely independant particles, and have
reasonable processing requirements. It won't be very realistic though.
You could do a more complex particle simulation with interacting
particles, I've seen simulations of this type that were pretty
convincing, but it is a lot slower. There are other types of simulation
that each have their own strengths.
To do a really realistic simulation of water would require a very
complex simulation and huge amounts of processing power, but you can
usually get a convincing effect with much less. It depends on what you
want...drops of water beading on a surface, paint pouring through a
funnel, waves smashing on rocks.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/