POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Inset texture maps : Re: Inset texture maps Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:22:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inset texture maps
From: Peter Popov
Date: 25 Jan 2000 11:15:00
Message: <ccuNOBU7nNJfNvylbDzYA2dOirii@4ax.com>
On Tue, 25 Jan 2000 03:28:37 -0800, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>Remco de Korte wrote:
>

>> Would it be stupid to use a heightfield for this?
>>
>> Remco
>
>It would be difficult. The effect he wants is engraving rather than raised
>areas. HF's would not apply well in this application I do not believe.

Actually a HF is a very good idea for this case. The whole blade (half
of it anyway) can be modelled using a HF. Or, the HF clipping trick
can be used -- make a union of the HF clipped by the blade and the
blade clipped by the HF (see hfclip.pov in the standard demo files).

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet
ICQ: 15002700