POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Memory access limits : Re: Memory access limits Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory access limits
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 6 May 2004 08:15:02
Message: <c7da76$56s$1@chho.imagico.de>
Warp wrote:
> Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde> wrote:
>
>>In theory a 32bit OS can also handle
>>more than 4GB of memory so the limit would be indeed the application
>

>   If I'm not completely mistaken, you can have up to 16 or 64 gigabytes
> (I don't remember which) of physical RAM in a pentium or newer processor.
> Of course one process can address only 4 gigabytes at a time.

This is what i meant with 'in theory'.  This is possible but only with
proper support from Hardware, OS and applications.

And as said in reality the limit is below the 4GB address space limit in
most cases.  For Windows you can find some more informations and
available 'solutions' on:

http://www.brianmadden.com/content/content.asp?id=69

Christoph

Last updated 01 May. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______