POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Per object antialiasing demo : Re: Per object antialiasing demo Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Per object antialiasing demo
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 8 Jan 2004 04:42:03
Message: <c4lvc1-p9a.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> Further to the reflection blur thread in p.general and as an answer to a
> question by Christoph Hormann, here's a demo of per object antialiasing in
> Cinema 4D.
>
> The scene is built with primitives (see the POV-Ray version at the end of
> this message) and uses a hard omni light, transparency and reflection. so I
> guess it's mostly raytracing (no scanline).
> The figure attached to the name is the render time in seconds.
>
> [...]

It seems about how i would expect it.

> Now with antialiasing, but a very bad one (I lowered the settings almost at
> their minimum) : http://www.oyonale.com/temp/po_bad_6s.png
> It's almost as bad as the non antialiased one, but notice an interesting
> thing: when the shapes are seen directly (hit by the first ray), they are
> already very well antialiased (see the sphere outline vs its reflection, and
> the checker on the plane vs when it's seen through the yellow disc). I don't
> know (yet) what causes this, as it seems a default feature.

To me this seems like C4D is using a non-raytracing technique for
antialiasing here.  This would explain why it only works on the directly
visible surfaces.

  > Here's the equivalent POV-Ray scene for those interested. I used rather
> extreme aa settings (+A0.0 +F +AM2 +R4 +J) so the render times are extreme
> too. Certainly it could be done faster (+A0.0 +AM1 +R9 or +A0.0 +AM2 +R3) .
> http://www.oyonale.com/temp/po_pov_700s.png

But using +a0.0 is completely unfair towards POV, you turn of the
adaptive antialiasing this way - of course the render is incredibly
slow.  Using +a0.1 instead renders ways faster (about 20x!) and looks
better than your 16 seconds sample i think.

Christoph

Last updated 25 Oct. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______