POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : command line DV .avi program... : Re: command line DV .avi program... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:31:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: command line DV .avi program...
From: Scott Moore
Date: 13 Aug 2002 07:19:00
Message: <apqhlu8dffmp9aus4l6rn4kfvuoddud9fj@4ax.com>
On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 08:21:34 +0200, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

>In article <3d5840d7@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:
>
>>   What is a DV .avi file?
>
>My guess would be that it is an avi file containing the DV file data from a
>DV camcorder (that is a digital one, just search the net if you don't know
>them).

You guess correctly - although the data need not have originated from
a DV camcorder.

>I have to admit that I don't even know if avi supports it,

A DV codec is included with DirectX 8 (not the best quality mind you,
but it does the job). Several video editing packages include a better
quality codec. Most of the codecs are for use with .avi files.

> but I do know that QuickTime supports it and (also I am not sure if it works under
>Windows) supports reading and writing that data from a IEEE 1394 device (aka
>FireWire or iLink).

Quicktime also has a DV codec (licensed from Sorenson if I remember
correctly). This codec is for use with .mov files

The transfer to and capture from DV camcorders is a separate process
from the work the codec does. Most DV video editing packages include a
capture/transfer utility.

Cheers,

Scott