POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Too few sampling intervals?... : Re: Too few sampling intervals?... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:23:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Too few sampling intervals?...
From: Peter Popov
Date: 10 Jun 2000 07:56:05
Message: <ad54ksoa26sf3vmskmqkqqc8unthc3iup6@4ax.com>
On Fri, 09 Jun 2000 18:08:03 -0400, Simon Lemieux
<lem### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

>Hi,
>	I got that error at frame 12 out of 100, saying:
>Rendering error.
>Too few sampling intervals.

>Can somebody tell me what is not right, why and how to avoid such mistake in the
>future?

This is related to the way POV samples te media density. It takes a
ray and divides the part of it which is in a media container into
several intervals, then takes some samples in each interval. It gives
more precedence to spotlights than pointlights so if you have many
spotlight cones intersecting the ray in question, POV will not be able
to give each its own interval and will exit with an error. At least
that's what I think is happening. Whatever the exact cause, there are
two ways to prevent it or overcome it. Increase the intervals or get
MegaPOV which has no such problems.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet