POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : format of hf_gray_16 .bmp files? : Re: format of hf_gray_16 .bmp files? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: format of hf_gray_16 .bmp files?
From: Mike Williams
Date: 7 Jul 2005 15:49:36
Message: <ZPlVMAAlYYzCFwo5@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Christoph Hormann who wrote:
>Mike Williams wrote:
>>>
>>>As said with hf_gray_16 POV-Ray generates PGM files - you have to
>>>specify them as 'pgm' in the heightfield statement.
>>
>> Wow, how confusing. You're right and the documentation is wrong.
>>

>What exactly do you think is wrong in the docs?

It says that you can use a PPM file as a 16-bit height field, but you
have to use a PGM file (and the syntax is "height_field pgm filename").

It says that +fp outputs a PPM file, but if hf_gray_16 is active the
output is a PGM file with an incorrect extension.

I don't think that there's any way that someone could guess the correct
way to use PGM hf_gray_16 files by reading the documentation.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure