POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POVRay and XML : Re: POVRay and XML Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:27:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay and XML
From: ingo
Date: 4 Jan 2005 16:52:43
Message: <Xns95D4E8BBB1668seed7@news.povray.org>
in news:41daff5b$1@news.povray.org Bernd Fuhrmann wrote:

> Thanks for the hint. Btw: What is you opinion of a facility like it is
> shown in that Python code piece?

In general it works fine. In this specific case there's a few things I'd
have done differently, the syntax is 'relative' close to POV-SDL. I'd
probably prefer something like VPython http://vpython.org/ with an
export to POV-Ray, becaus when working in one language I probably don't
want to bothered by another. For generating POV-Ray SDL from another
language I've been looking at templating systems and I think most what
one needs can be done with them, as after all, it's only text.

Here's yet another one:
http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/numeracy0.html
and other pages on the site.

Personaly, I think there are three interesting options:
One is a standalone parser that interfaces with, in my case, Python. It
would suit my current needs, but it lacks interaction, so no "trace"
ability.

Two, the possibility to call, in my case python, scripts from POV-Ray as
a kind of include files. I guess the chanches for the latter to happen
are rather small.

A third and maybe most interesting option, is something like Jython
http://www.jython.org/ . POV-Ray SDL implemented in another programming
language in such a way that it completely interacts with that language
and you can use any library available in the two languages. And
regardless what you use, everything looks like POV-Ray-SDL syntax.

All that, from a non-programmers view,

Ingo