POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How do you rotate an object to face the origin? : Re: How do you rotate an object to face the origin? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:27:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do you rotate an object to face the origin?
From: Rich
Date: 16 Dec 2003 16:21:43
Message: <Xns94539218C9F8spammindspringcom@204.213.191.226>
"David Wallace" <dar### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in

> The initial axis in the Reorient macro is the initial direction your
> object is pointing.  Assuming that your object is created to point in
> the +z direction, this should work:
>
> #object {
>     thing
>     Reorient( z, <-x1, -y1, -z1> )
>     translate <x1, y1, z1>
> }

Hmm.  I guess what I didn't understand about the Reorient macro was how to
determine the values it wanted.  I never would have thought to put negative
versions of the object's position, for example.  ChrisB's help solved the
problem, and I actually understand a bit of why it worked!  Thanks for your
help, now that I have the problem solved I can look into the reorient macro
code more  closely to see if I can figure out what it does and needs.

Rich