POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : mesh2 transparency request : Re: mesh2 transparency request Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mesh2 transparency request
From: Philippe Lhoste
Date: 20 Sep 2002 10:27:10
Message: <Xns928FA727B1A3BPhiLho@204.213.191.226>
"Jeremy Wilson" <jwi### [at] batchcomputercom> wrote in

> Hi,
> I currently have a program that ouputs mesh2 objects and adds texture
> info to them.  Unfortunately, my textures are standard Windows BMP
> files.  Since BMP files don't support an alha channel, so parts of the
> bitmap that are supposed to be transparent are not.  If I could tell my
> program to output PNG files I would but I can't at this time.

You can use ImageMagick (available for Windows, among other systems) to
transform your BMP images into PNG (for example), adding transparency to the
given color (option: -transparent <color>).

I just tried:
convert -transparent #FFFFFF FairyCastle.bmp FC.png
checked transparency with an HTML page, looks OK.

HTH.

--
Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)