POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : union of unions : Re: union of unions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: union of unions
From: Philippe Lhoste
Date: 10 Sep 2002 06:18:27
Message: <Xns92857CFA3E789PhiLho@204.213.191.226>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in news:3d7db4dc@news.povray.org:

> Slime <slm### [at] slimelandcom> wrote:
>> Personally, I'm all for tabs.
>
>   Yes, and then someone viewing the file with different tab settings
>   than
> you will see it in a quite funny way (specially if you combine tabs
> and spaces in the indentation).

I use tabs in most of my code, but I settled for spaces for POV-Ray
sources, because most people seems to use it, because 2 spaces is quite
compact with code that can be deeply nested, and because they are better
to see in newsgroups...

I also like to align my soft brackets, and keep this notation. I believe
that such religious war is useless, because by experience everybody
keeps its opinion. After all, it is a matter of taste.

I think that consistency is more important for an individual or a
project, that accross a community. I am trying to write code with always
the same rules applied. But when I write Scintilla or VXCL code, for
example, I follow the style used by the author. It is just polite, as it
eases the work of integrating back the patches in the code base.

Note that mixing tabs and spaces is, for me, the worst way of
indenting... It is confusing, often inconsistent, can fool some editors,
etc.

Regards.

--
Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)