POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to remove wood uniformity? : Re: How to remove wood uniformity? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:20:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to remove wood uniformity?
From: ingo
Date: 19 May 2001 08:47:01
Message: <Xns90A696637A895seed7@povray.org>
in news:3b06441f@news.povray.org Alf Peake wrote:

> I've
> tried adding a random component to diffuse and ambient, and also a
> second texture layer. They both work but is there a better or easier
> way?

 Easiest I to me is adding a second layer, but not on top of the wood
but as a base. It's the way we print wood-designs in our factory.
 Start with a base colour, on top of that the wood pattern, in one or
more layers, with some transparency. Now all you have to do is vary the
colour of the base to get a differnt wood.
 Makes me think, it could be made closer to the printing method. Make a
wood design in several layers. Eatch layer only uses gray-scale. Colour
is given to a layer by a multiplication factor. All that would be
needed to make another colour-way is changing the colour of the factor.

Ingo