POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : "user-defined" isosurface : Re: "user-defined" isosurface Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "user-defined" isosurface
From: Mike Williams
Date: 24 Jan 2006 09:20:59
Message: <XkKm2DAAWj1DFwuZ@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Leo80s who wrote:
>> There's some info on using arrays in isosurface functions here:
>>
>> http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/arrays.htm
>
>Reading this page my question is:
>
>In your opinion, in which manner I can estimate a "reasonably small number
>of elements" for an array?

It's really up to you. Just be aware that indexing N elements requires a
minimum of N-1 "select" statements. The example on that page shows an
8-element array being indexed with 7 "select"s.

I suppose you could write an external program that would generate the
POV SDL code for as many elements as you like, or you could write those
N-1 select statements by hand. I suspect that it may not be possible to
generate the selects with a POV macro.

It's really not worth the bother anyway, because the results are likely
to be disappointing due to the infinite gradients at the
discontinuities.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure