POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Saturation : Re: Saturation Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:21:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Saturation
From: Mike Williams
Date: 5 May 2005 14:29:45
Message: <WxU2TEAVWmeCFwj8@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Dave Dunn who wrote:
>Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
>> When I want to grab loads of colours from something like a cloudscape I
>> convert the image to a GIF, load it into IrfanView and export the
>> palette in PAL format.
>>
>> In PAL format you get an ascii file with three lines of junk, then a
>> list of the RGB values of each palette entry. If you tweak the file by
>> inserting commas everywhere, you can #read the data with POV, divide by
>> 255 and populate a colour_map.
>>
>> --
>> Mike Williams
>> Gentleman of Leisure
>
>That is absolutely brilliant. One thing I have always hated is sitting there
>building color_maps by hand. You have truly earned your title, "Man of
>Leisure." Thanks for the tip.

I must confess that the technique is not entirely original with me. It's
commonly used to produce colour maps for fractals with programs like
Fractint or Ultrafractal. In fact a Fractint .MAP file looks very much
like an IrfanView .PAL file with the first three lines deleted. I just
spotted that you can do the same thing with POV, with a bit more
processing.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure