POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Depth output from POVray : Re: Depth output from POVray Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Depth output from POVray
From: Peter Popov
Date: 22 Sep 1999 04:27:41
Message: <V5LoN5TatESKTQfzmmjrCp0Po8Ya@4ax.com>
On Tue, 21 Sep 1999 20:16:01 -0500, "Bob Hughes" <inv### [at] aolcom>
wrote:

>Think I'd use a gradient z pigment instead.  I have one RDS (random
>dot stereogram, not RayDreamStudio) program here that accepts the
>depth info in Bmp images which I suppose might be simple color
>shifting, not sure.  I need to dust it off and give it a try.
>
>Bob

A linear gradient will give a very inaccurate result in points not
directly in front of the camera. I sometimes use a spherical pigment.
The problem is that it's hard to get its scale right, especially if
you have a ground plane, but for indoor or single object scenes it is
the best choice.

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700