POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : <no subject> : Re: <no subject> Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:25:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: <no subject>
From: Mike Williams
Date: 3 Nov 2005 13:35:45
Message: <UyyGzBAdVlaDFwWh@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Antonio Ferrari who wrote:

>Then... Do you think is it possible to write a macro that
>generate df3 entries according to the described rules?

It's possible to perform all the calculation within POV code, but I
believe that df3 files are binaries, and POV #write operations can only
write ASCII, so POV can't write df3 files directly.

I've done a quick proof-of-concept scene (see binaries.images) where I
split an object into a 40*40*40 array, use "inside()" to determine if a
point is inside the object, and determine the distance of each cell from
the edge in the way you describe.

It would be possible to then write the data from the array and have it
processed by a program that can write binary files, but I just plotted a
transparent cube in each cell with the pigment transparency of each cube
corresponding to the value in the array.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure