POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : ripples on the surface of a sphere ? : ripples on the surface of a sphere ? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  ripples on the surface of a sphere ?
From: Dennis Clarke
Date: 25 Apr 2003 15:52:07
Message: <Pine.GSO.4.53.0304251512440.17302@blastwave>
I was playing with chrome/mercury blobs :

 http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/povray/output/chrome.avi
 http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/povray/output/tet.avi

 I was trying to figure out how to make surface ripples on the blobs that
 would emulate ripples on a still pond or lake but wrapped onto a sphere.

 I figure that the only way to do this would be to tessalate the sphere
 manually and then add a sinusoidal interferance effect to the surface that
 would be a standing wave pattern in 3D.  While it may be possible to add a
 bump map effect in a still frame I wonder about an animation.  My hope is
 to create a reasonable animation of a sphere that has droplets falling away
 from it radially first and then downwards due to spinning.

 Any thoughts ?

 Dennis