POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Perfect Antialiasing ??? : Re: Perfect Antialiasing ??? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:22:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Perfect Antialiasing ???
From: Dennis Clarke
Date: 22 Apr 2003 19:01:19
Message: <Pine.GSO.4.53.0304221845420.6559@blastwave>
On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Christopher James Huff wrote:
>In article <Pine.GSO.4.53.0304221425230.5704@blastwave>,
> Dennis Clarke <dcl### [at] blastwaveorg> wrote:
>
>>   is that a gaussian function that is applied to calculate the anti-aliased
>> value of the pixel or simply the average of pixels within a 10 pixel radius.
>> Then again, are we talking a square of 10x10 and not a radius of 10 pixels?
>
>This is antialiasing, not blur. We are supersampling a single pixel.

  In what way is antialiasing within a single pixel different from blur of
 a single pixel.  They are essentially the same thing n'est pas?  My thoughts
 on this are that you can have a +r3 antialias approach in which a 3x3 grid
 should be laid down within a single pixel and then the average of the RGB
 values calculated at the center.  The concept of blur would be the same yes?
 Simply with a blur you would increase the resolution of the image by a factor
 of 3 in each dimension and then calculate the average RGB values within a
 central pixel from the surrounding 3x3 pixels.  Is the real difference, if
 any, that this is more like a digital convolution by using a comb filter
 function with a 3x3 identity matrix ( all 1's ) and therefore the central
 pixel value would be including its neighbors while anti-aliasing does not
 include its neighbors at all?  Is the sampling matrix that is used for the
 average actually all 1's or is it 1/sqrt(2) on the corners and sqrt(2/3)
 on the edges?

 antialias matrix for 3x3 within a single pixel

     +--------+--------+--------+
     |        |        |        |
     |   p    |    q   |    p   |   where p = 1/sqrt(2)  and
     |        |        |        |
     +--------+--------+--------+         q = sqrt(2/3)
     |   q    |    1   |    q   |
     |   p    |    q   |    p   |

 I'm just thinking via my keyboard here ..

 Dennis