POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : mapped trasparency : Re: mapped trasparency Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:35:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mapped trasparency
From: Mike Williams
Date: 18 Apr 2004 21:36:17
Message: <PE$PvBADzygAFw6+@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Gianluca Massaccesi who wrote:
>Hallo to everybody.
>Could anybody suggest an example to simulate a mapped trasparency plane or
>sphere, knowing the value of the trasparency at specific position?
>
>Thank you for your help.

If you can plot the transparency to an image, then you can use that
image_map to control a pigment_pattern

#declare transTex = texture {
  pigment_pattern {image_map {jpeg "tex.jpg" interpolate 2}}
  texture_map {
     [0 pigment {rgbt <0,0,0,1>}]
     [1 pigment {MyPigment}]
  }
}

If you can express your knowledge of the transparency at a specific
position as a function then you can use that function to control a
pigment_pattern.

#declare transTex = texture {
  pigment_pattern {function{abs(sin(x*4)+cos(y*8))*0.5}}
  texture_map {
     [0 pigment {rgbt <0,0,0,1>}]
     [1 pigment {MyPigment}]
  }
}

Hint: It's much easier to manage things if you ensure that your function
returns values in the range 0 to 1 (hence my use of abs() and *0.5)
rather than trying to adjust the control values of the texture_map to
work with a function that returns values outside that range.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure