POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Bounding with a sky_sphere : Re: Bounding with a sky_sphere Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:12:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bounding with a sky_sphere
From: Peter Popov
Date: 18 Feb 2000 15:59:59
Message: <On+tOPJBpDTW19hVUhYU9Bh3Vtgf@4ax.com>
On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 15:43:29 -0500, Chris Huff
<chr### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

>> The bounding option does not appear to really help
>
>Have you tried bounding in a tree-like structure? Like, if you have a
>line of 8 objects, bound each half of it separately, and subdivide each
>half of it...ok, I am just really bad at explaining this. If you know
>something about programming, it is similar to a binary search tree.
>If you do this, make sure you change the settings so POV doesn't ignore
>your bounded_by statements.

An oct-tree is built recursively by splitting each bounding box in
eight smaller parts, right? How are the three splitting planes
determined? Is the midpoint of the bounding box used or is an adaptive
median approach used? The latter would yield a much more efficient
bounding scheme but the overhead in parse time would almost surely
render any benefits in render time unsibstantial. If this is
implemented in a POV script generating external program, such as
PlantStudio or TreeDesigner or a particle system this should not be
much of a problem.

Peter Popov
pet### [at] tagpovrayorg
ICQ: 15002700