POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : AI for Povray? : Re: AI for Povray? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AI for Povray?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 7 Jan 2006 16:47:32
Message: <MPG.1e29e4543b6eb803989ec2@news.povray.org>
In article <web.43c02225d1a8490fe4dd611c0@news.povray.org>, nomail@nomail
says...
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> >   You lost me with the "XML" part. I couldn't follow your logic.
>
> Is POV-Ray rendering engine or is it script based rendering software?
> Rendering engine should input data from other tools and XML is easy to
> parse and generate. There is no use for editor in rendering engine. That
> should be different program.

We have been through this before. XML may be easy to generate or parse,
but its a) inefficient compared to the existing SDL, which means parsing
would take longer, and b) in many cases SDL uses macros and loops to
generate multiple objects, trace surface and perform other complex tasks
that are supported by "languages", not "documents". XML is a "document"
format, not a script language. The only instance I know of where XML is
even used for scripts involves using the XML to define secondary things,
then placing the real language portion in a CDATA block. In other words,
even the people that developed XML realized the difference between
documents and imbedded script, which can't be converted to XML.

So, you have lost me with that too. I am not sure what everyone's
fascination with XML is, but it smacks of the old hammer and nail
fallacy, which says, "To someone that does nothing but use a hammer to
pound nails, everything starts to look like a nail."

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else