POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : BSSRDF : Re: BSSRDF Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:25:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: BSSRDF
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 3 Sep 2004 17:31:18
Message: <MPG.1ba2906e403fcd76989b60@news.povray.org>
In article <ch4150$2ij$1@chho.imagico.de>, chr### [at] gmxde says...
> Antonio Ferrari wrote:
> > Is BSSRDF method implemented in POV-Ray? If not,
> > is it possible to simulate on POV-Ray BSSRDF? Are
> > similar methods implemented?
>
> You can do subsurface scattering in POV-Ray using media.  In p.b.i. past
> postings you will find quite a lot of postings showing examples for this
> (just like other faked scattering techniques).

Not to complain, but media is confusing and complicated, while a
subsurface scattering algorithm would just do what it was designed for
and would thus likely be less complicated to use. Also, while I have
heard lots of claims about how it could be done with media, I am not sure
there is any examples of it being used with organics or other similar
situations where the effect needs to be fairly depth limited and
specific, but the shape of the object doesn't lend itself well to just
stuffing it full of media and hoping it doesn't have any leaks. Something
less container specific would be better for such models, if for no other
reason than to save time in designing and debugging. I am not sure you
can really call it a useless or redundant feature for these reasons, but
that is just my opinion.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()