POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Bitwise AND : Re: Bitwise AND Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:27:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bitwise AND
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 6 Apr 2004 17:30:46
Message: <MPG.1adccf01ac2bac4989a13@news.povray.org>
In article <407078ac@news.povray.org>, fak### [at] emailaddress says...
> > But.... Some mathematical operations require such operations.... Or at
> > least they can use them, so it is odd that such a thing is not actually
> > supported. Any method used to simulate this, where the result needs to be
> > used as a real numeric value would take extra steps to 'build' the value
> > from the array, string or whatever. This is imho quite silly.
>
> True. But it would be possible. POV-Ray SDL is just a simple scripting
> language provided for convenience; if you really need the speed that bit
> operations can give you, then you're *probably* using the wrong language for
> the job. You should consider writing a program in a different language which
> outputs a POV-Ray SDL file which can be #included from your main one, to
> provide the necessary data or objects.

Which works fine, unless their was a real reason why it needed values
only computed on the fly in the SDL. Animations being one example. Having
to export a new SDL for every frame is kind of annoying if the only
reason for doing it is because there are no bitwise operators. Still. Its
one of those things I can see as an issue, not something bugging me
personally.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()