POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Object Oriented POV code : Re: Object Oriented POV code Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:15:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Object Oriented POV code
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 21 Feb 2004 16:09:04
Message: <MPG.1aa176babf5c7f9c9899b2@news.povray.org>
In article <40369dc3@news.povray.org>, war### [at] tagpovrayorg says...
> > myWindow.setBitmap(myBitmap);
>
> > Does the window have a pointer to my bitmap, or did it copy the bitmap
> > into its own instance variable? In the latter case, I can free my
> > bitmap. In the former case, I cannot. That's what the internal state of
> > a module (in this case an object instance) has to do with memory management.
>
>   If you have to wonder about things like that, then the abstraction
> level of the code is not good enough.

But it can happen. In VB you can define something as passed ByVal or
ByRef. ByRef means it will directly manipulate the originally object.
There are times you want to do this, though it would be patently stupid
to do so in a case where it was even possible to have more than two
processes manipulating the same object at the same time.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else