POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Object Oriented POV code : Re: Object Oriented POV code Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Object Oriented POV code
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 18 Feb 2004 17:03:27
Message: <MPG.1a9d8de2d9dc8dc39899ad@news.povray.org>
In article <cjameshuff-9D70B1.13425418022004@news.povray.org>,
cja### [at] earthlinknet says...
> In article <4032CB5A.9277B9BA@pacbell.net>, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet>
> wrote:
>
> > Not me. It would add another layer of complexity that I don't want to have
> > to bother to learn. OO is for programming not a scene description language.
> > If I wanted to learn programming I would do that rather than using POV-Ray.
>
> You only say that because you don't know what it would add. It would not
> add complexity, it would greatly simplify many things.

I am seriously confused about what it would simplify... SDL already does
most everything that OO stuff can. The one and only thing I can think of
is the ability to over-ride specific attributes, the way you can replace
an existing function in an object with a new one:

#define Motorcycle1 = object {Motorcycle}

object {
  Motorcycle1 {
    #replace Motorcycle1.Handlebars.texture{blah....}
  }
}

So you could start with an entirely prebuilt object and change any single
item in it by directly replacing that item. However, for it to work, each
individual object would need a unique name or you would need to have some
way to index which of the objects in a CSG you are applying the changes
to or adding/removing.

Is the above sort of what you are talking about? Because otherwise I
don't get what OO feature you are talking about that the SDL doesn't
already support in some fashion...

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()