POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Why?... Because!! : Re: Why?... Because!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why?... Because!!
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 20 Mar 2003 22:23:11
Message: <MPG.18e42fd2eebf16298978e@news.povray.org>
In article <web.3e791f49528171f8d02c7b870@news.povray.org>,
rox### [at] yahoocom says...
> Andrew Coppin wrote:
> >> The obvious next step:  port MAME to SDL.
> >
> >Port whatty?!?
> >

> MAME = Multi Arcade Machine Emulator
>
> I haven't used it personally, but it's supposed to be really good. I've
> heard there are even ports of it for several consoles.

Good is an understatement. It supports virtually every game ever made,
save for the newer vector based ones. Most that don't work are do to
there being no good dumps of the original roms. Best to get the DOS
version for full compatibility though and a version like Mame32 for
playing the ones that will work in it, which should be 100% of them 'if'
you have the right sets of rom images. Since version .32 that I used to
have, they moved a lot of the rom images that 'used' to be built into the
emulator out to the various rom files, this means they won't work with
the new Mame32 and probably not for Mame 0.66 either unless patched
first. I had to fix about 10 of the 100 or so I had, including spyhunter
because the files I had didn't contain the needed images. At least one of
the roms I have crashes, so some issues do exist, at least between v 0.32
and v 0.66, but that is the only one out of all the ones I have.
Unfortunately, while www.mame.dk is still a good place to check out for
the data on supported games (and missing rom images), you have to get the
roms themselves from other places. There is a mess of them on the WinMX
and opennap networks though, including entire archives of different
groups, like everything starting with A, etc. Also, www.romnation.net is
good, but their auto redirect for file downloads sometimes screws up for
me.

Patches to upgrade the roms to the 'new' versions are from another site
http://www.sys2064.com/fixfiles.htm. Though these are not 100% complete
with all the needed patches. I had to get one file for Spyhunter from
another rom that had it, however the patch that was included for it also
proved necessary to get it to work right. If you can find such patches on
P2P networks, then good luck trying to figure out what to search on. I
didn't see any of them when I tried to look.

Also, some people have even build arcade cabinets to hold their computers
and monitors, then wired in the original arcade controls to them.

Thus assumes anyone even cares. ;) lol

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()