POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Wood coloring help. : Re: Wood coloring help. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:14:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wood coloring help.
From: Mike Williams
Date: 11 Sep 2004 04:55:49
Message: <JtUeVHAs0rQBFwNq@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it miriam english who wrote:
>"Gary Blessing" <ble### [at] icefognet> wrote:
>
>> I can modify the colors alright, just not
>> to what I want...
>
>If you use MSWindows get a wonderful little program called Irfanview
>http://irfanview.com (it is free for non-commercial use) and display a
>picture of the wood. Now click on the part that you want the color of and
>irfanview will show the color codes in the title bar. It is a simple
>process to enlarge the image and click on parts of the picture and note
>down all the values.

What I tend to do is to use Irfanview to decrease the number of colours
in the image to something manageable and then use Image=>Export_Palette.
This creates a .PAL file which is an ASCII text file containing three
header lines (Identifier, version, number of colours) then a list of the
RGB values. Grab the list of RGB values and divide by 256.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure