POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Adding forces to points in curves : Re: Adding forces to points in curves Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adding forces to points in curves
From: Peter Popov
Date: 28 Dec 1999 18:52:46
Message: <JUxpOHq5JBLmX7HJHf1aepoeQp5l@4ax.com>
On Tue, 28 Dec 1999 23:33:16 +0100, "Rune" <run### [at] inamecom>
wrote:

>However, I'm not sure what the difference is between this:
>
>>Do this until no force is greater than a certain threshold value
>
>...and this:
>
>>or even better, the standard deviation of the forces
>>falls below a certain level (i.e. the spline is equistressed).

The difference is that if you have too many points, the forces between
them may be great but still equal, which would force the first
algorithm into an infinite loop, while the second (which looks at the
deviation) will stop seeing that all forces are virtually equal.

>But I guess that's not so important anyway. I get the basic idea.

For once I was able to make a clear point :)

>Greetings,
>
>Rune

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet