POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Air disruption question : Re: Air disruption question Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:29:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Air disruption question
From: Mike Williams
Date: 25 May 2000 02:10:25
Message: <JOtpuOAdGML5EwEn@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it SamuelT who wrote:
>Gilles Tran wrote:
>
>> kane wrote:
>>
>> >     I'm trying to create the disturbance to the atmosphere as a meteor
>> > passes through it. Kind of like ripples in the air, that sort of thing. Is
>> > there any way in Pov or MegPov to do this?
>>
>> Possibly an isosurface with transparency and ior could do this, but it
>> wouldn't be very easy.
>> G.
>
>Wouldn't the isosurface give sharp edges?

The shockwaves produced by a meteor travelling at hypersonic velocity
will actually have sharp edges, so that shouldn't be a problem.

A bigger problem is that very few people (if any) have ever observed
atmospheric disturbances caused by meteors, so it's going to be hard to
check whether the rendering is remotely realistic. None of the meteors
that I've seen have caused any observable atmospheric disturbances.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure