POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Finding point outside circles : Re: Finding point outside circles Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:22:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Finding point outside circles
From: Peter Popov
Date: 13 Feb 2000 11:18:18
Message: <I9imOLF7N67+JFYPlLA6OyWpG+3m@4ax.com>
On Sun, 13 Feb 2000 14:19:32 +0100, "Rune" <run### [at] inamecom>
wrote:

>Yes, I too have found that that's the only way.
>Now I just need to know how to calculate all the
>points of intersection. How do I do that?
>
>Greetings,
>
>Rune

For each two circles, solve the system:

(X-X1)^2+(Y-Y1)^2=R1^2
(X-X2)^2+(Y-Y2)^2=R2^2

where the two circles have centers (X1,Y1) and (X2,Y2) and radii R1
and R2, respectively. The system will have no real roots if they do
not intersect, one double real root if they touch, two distinct real
roots if they intersect and infinitely many solutions if they
coincide.

Peter Popov
pet### [at] tagpovrayorg
ICQ: 15002700