POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : long render time : Re: long render time Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:14:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: long render time
From: Peter Popov
Date: 4 Sep 1999 15:28:09
Message: <GX3RN0NzJ3Fp3tCYyz7Qz3661zia@4ax.com>
On Sat, 04 Sep 1999 06:57:15 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>Notice how there is no scale given in the box's y direction ?

The things one learn every day... I think though that this is
internally converted to a unit box with the appropriate transformation
matrix applied, and since POV changes a zero scale to unity scale, you
might as well replace the zeroes with ones there as there's no
difference between them. There, I beat the bejesus out of boolean
algebra :)

>It works well and has the advantage that automatic bounding is
>very effecient for the box object. Also you will have a problem
>with Pov if you try to add manual bounding to a union of planes
>because Pov will simply remove the manual bounding unless you
>turn bounding off.This may cause the rest of your scene to take
>even longer to render and the savings for the planes being bounded
>may become moot. 22 hrs for a Pov scene to render is not all that
>uncommon and who said raytracing was fast anyway ?

I regret to say this, but you are wrong. You can use manual *and*
automatic bounding simultaneously. You just have to tell POV to keep
the user bounds, because by default it will remove them. The command
line option is -UR and the INI file setting is Remove_Bounds=off. In
case you are bounding a union you might have to have Split_Unions=off
or use -SU in the command line.

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700