POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Adding forces to points in curves : Re: Adding forces to points in curves Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:28:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adding forces to points in curves
From: Peter Popov
Date: 28 Dec 1999 02:08:56
Message: <CGBoOOdUOOkiEl4Ur8e3MSw5urkS@4ax.com>
Rune,

this is an interesting approach. As far as I understand your problem
is that when the points start repelling each other, they leave the
spline, right? So how about tweaking this idea a bit? The spline is a
function with one parameter, let's name it time or t (well, the
control points and vectors are technically also parameter but they are
the same for all points so I won't consider them here). For every t
there is an unique point on the spline. What you have to do is store
an array of the values of t of the points on the spline. When you
calculate the forces and the displacement they cause, apply this
displacement along the t axis and not x,y or z. Then you'll know for
sure that no whatever the points ditribution, the spline shape will
remain constant. Do this until no force is greater than a certain
threshold value or even better, the standard deviation of the forces
falls below a certain level (i.e. the spline is equistressed). It
would look cool animated, too, especially if the spline moves at the
same time.

I hope I explained my idea well and that it is actually od some help.
I haven't tested it but it seems like it will work. Good luck and
don't hesitate to ask if there's something wrong. I am also interested
in this problem but being the lazy bum that I am I'd rather stay aside
and give advice and let others do it :)))

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet
ICQ: 15002700