POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : splines : Re: splines Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:12:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: splines
From: Fidel viegas
Date: 22 Sep 2002 22:39:45
Message: <B9B43C96.4E3C%fidel.viegas@artrecognition.co.uk>
> The term "cubic" refers to the degree of the equations used to calculate the
> spline path.  All the cubic splines (Bezier, Catmull-Rom, Hermite,
> Kochanek-Bartels) are just different ways of specifying the inputs for the
> spline, and it's not too difficult to perform conversions from one to
> another.

Thanks for the info. I spent a while reading on that subject and just
implemented a java application that converts from one to another.

> My Spline Macro File allows you to define and use cubic splines, with a
> choice of input types (including Hermite).  A POV 3.5 compatible version is
> available on request, although I intend to review and revise the file to
> make best use of POV 3.5's inbuilt spline functions.  You can download the
> file and a tutorial from http://www.geocities.com/ccolefax

I had that on my include path, but had never used it. Anyway, as I mentioned
above, I just implemented an application that allows me to design the
splines visually with mouse clicks. I then export it to povray (I am too
lazy to be doing trial and error experiments with povray sdl until I get the
correct curve).

Thanks for all the support.

All the best

Fidel.