POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Errors in Povray's CSG??? : Re: Errors in Povray's CSG??? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:25:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Errors in Povray's CSG???
From: Mike Williams
Date: 10 Dec 2004 08:06:30
Message: <9egMYFAE9ZuBFw5N@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Captain Chemistry who wrote:
>Hello everyone.
>
>I know this sounds extremely arrogant and I apologise if it doesn't do the
>same thing on anyone else's computer but you should check this out:

It appears to be a bounding bug.

If you switch bounding off, ("-MB" in the command line) then the POV
results match what you'd expect from set theory. So the POV code doing
the actual intersection, union and inversion code is working as you
would expect but the automatic bounding is chopping bits off.

The bit that goes

 union
 {
  object{C}
  object{B inverse}
 }

seems to have its bounding inverted, giving it finite bounds instead of
infinite bounds. That would be fine if that were the top level of the
CSG, but when it's part of an intersection the infinite part is really
needed.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure