POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : About types of projections : Re: About types of projections Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:27:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About types of projections
From: ingo
Date: 12 Dec 1999 14:51:44
Message: <8E9AD61BDseed7@204.213.191.228>
Margus Ramst wrote:

>The only way the checker pattern isn't distorted is with the orthographic
>camera. The distortion of the perspective camera becomes obvious at high
>camera angles (this is why the panoramic camera was added). At angles ->
>zero the distortion of the perspective camera is indeed negligible, since
>it starts to look like orthographic projection (rays are nearly parallel).
>But try an angle of, say, 150 and you know what I mean.

I know what you mean, but what you say / do is wrong /something different.

the second thing you do is pull back the camera to keep the object at the
same scale. The object camera distance is what determines the perspective.
Not the camera angle.

Try the following:
put a box at origin, rotate 45*y.
Set up your camera at a position on the -z-axis you like and keep the camera

image again but with such a bigger +w and +h that the box has the same hight,
in pixels, as in your first image.
Cut out the boxes of both images and compare. You will see that there is no
difference in perspective (distorion)

Ingo