POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Fishtail math ><}}}*> : Re: Fishtail math ><}}}*> Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:26:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fishtail math ><}}}*>
From: ingo
Date: 20 Nov 1999 13:09:35
Message: <8E84C0E1Eseed7@212.120.113.81>
Remco de Korte wrote:

>I tried rendering it but I still don't understand.
>I admit this doesn't look good, but I didn't know the exact settings for
>the animation(clock-values).

0 to 1.
I think we're talking a bit "langs elkaar heen".
My point with the anim was to illustrate that you can have non-unique x-
values because there are no sin / cos functions.

>What I did see was that there's no sin or
>cos in your source so that doesn't clarify it to me either.
>I'm sorry.
>Still, it's not my problem 8)

And I've solved mine :)

>Just to make sure I totally misunderstand, render this:
>[...]
>with clock going from 0 to 1 (the number of frames is up to you, I tried
>20). Apart from the fact that the distance between the spheres isn't
>constant (which is easy to fix) what's wrong with it? I guess this is
>not what you're looking for but I don't see what is.

There's noting wrong. My main problem was the non constant distances and
that's solved.

>And as for Greg's remark ("The sin cos solution prevents non unique
>positions along the x axis.") this shows that there's no problem there.
>I didn't say you had to use sin AND cos, just one of them is enough, or
>use a clever combination to get more interesting wave-forms (I have a
>little program that can illustrate that).

SinCos? I've seen it on your page, not tried it yet, but I will.

Thank you, and Peter, for your comments. It helped me solve my problem.

Tsjuus,
Ingo