POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Fishtail math ><}}}*> : Re: Fishtail math ><}}}*> Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:21:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fishtail math ><}}}*>
From: ingo
Date: 19 Nov 1999 17:52:36
Message: <8E83FDBF4seed7@212.120.113.81>
Peter Popov wrote:

>//try this
>
>#declare Pos=array[11]
>
>#declare i=0;
>#while (i<11) #declare Pos[i]=<i,0,0>; #declare i=i+1; #end
>
>#declare i=1;
>#while (i<11)
>  #declare Pos[i]=vrotate((Pos[i]-Pos[i-1]),<0,0,10*clock>)+Pos[i-1];
>  #declare i=i+1;
>#end

No, I'm afraid that's not what I'm looking for. What I expected to see is
the spheres arranged in a arc, about one quarter of a circle.

mmm, all spheres end up on a circle, the length of the arcsegment between
two spheres is known (1 in this case). The angle between the two vectors

circle will always go through the origin, where the first sphere is.
With this, I think the radius and centerposition of the circle can be
calculated. Once this circle is known, take the distance frome any sphere
on the x-axis to the origin. Take an arcsegment of the circle with the same
length and put the sphere there.
Would it work? I'll sleep over this and try if I can figure it out
tomorrow.

Thanks Peter for your effort.

Ingo