POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Patina : Re: Patina Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Patina
From: ingo
Date: 28 Oct 1999 13:02:50
Message: <8E6DC315Aseed7@212.120.113.81>
Ron Parker wrote:

>The first derivative is the slope (roughly.)
>
>The second derivative is the rate of change of the slope.
>Smooth, gently curving regions would have a low second
>derivative, while sharply curving regions would have a high
>second derivative. The curvature of the surface corresponds
>strongly to its accessibility.
>
>Unfortunately, it's very difficult - ........

Ah, I see. Thanks
The monte-carlo method sounds promising.

Walking home from shopping I had an idea (well, the start of an
idea). Make several copies of the original. Modify each copy
slightly, scale, translate or surface subdivide etc. Then
difference the original and ead each copy, give each new object
a different pigment. Union all objects, slice them up and
make it into a df3-file. Use this as the base for texturing the
original object. Will it work? don't know.

Ingo