POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Tips for metal textures : Re: Tips for metal textures Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:17:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tips for metal textures
From: Peter Popov
Date: 11 Jul 2000 04:13:04
Message: <71glmsc8k8n8j3g22lrq0duvga7hts08j5@4ax.com>

<ffj### [at] club-internetfr> wrote:

>By unsaturated, do you mean a color like <0.2,0.2,0.2> ?

Yes. If you grab the HSB <--> RGB macros (search the scene-files
groups) you'll make your life easier. Start with saturation 0 and
brightness 100 (hue doesn't play a role yet) and start reducing
brightness until you're down to what you want it to be.. Then reduce
saturation until you have to the color as juicy as you want it, and at
the same time adjust the hue. Tweak the brightness for the last time
because the way it is perceived may have changed with the addition of
color.

>Ah maybe that's the trick I was looking for : A soft and a tight
>highlights.

The tight highlight looks like a bulb and the soft one looks like
radiosity from the ceiling near the bulb. Or they may look like the
sun and the window. Definitely looks better with two.

>Reflect_metallic ? I am going to browse the MegaPOV help more thoroughly.
>Apparently, I have missed a few interesting new features

Well, there's blurred reflection in there, too, but I don't see where
you'll use it. There's also variable reflection and energy
conservation but I don't think variable reflection is applicable for
metals to a degree as to be noticeable (like water or linoleum).

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet