POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Optical Inertia : Re: Optical Inertia Server Time
27 Oct 2024 18:14:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Optical Inertia
From: Francois LE COAT
Date: 17 Oct 2024 09:35:47
Message: <671112b3$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

Francois LE COAT writes:
>> The experiment from Hernan Badino was redone. You can see it there...
>>

>> The main interest is that video is looping, and the result is almost:

>> Well, Hernan Badino is moving his head when he is walking, so the
>> reconstructed trajectory is not perfectly looping at the end. But
>> we can reconstruct the movement almost perfectly. We use OpenCV
>> for image processing, and POV-Ray for 3D representation. We have
>> to determine projective dominant motion in the video with a
>> reference image, and change it when correlation drops below 80%.
>>
>> We have a 3D inertial model of motion, that's why POV-Ray helps =)
>
> Three drones are flying between forests of trees. Thanks to the
> optical-flow (DIS OpenCV) measured on successive images, the
> "temporal disparity" reveals the forest of trees (3rd dimension)...
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP75EeFVyOI> 1st drone
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp5Z1Nu4Hko> 2nd drone
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLxE8iS7fPI> 3rd drone
>
> The interest with the forest is that trajectories are curved, in
> order to avoid obstacles. It is measured thanks to a projective
> transform, and represented with <Ry,Rz,Tx,Tz> thanks to POV-Ray.
> The evolution of the drone is shown in front-view with its camera.

It is possible to perceive the relief (in depth) of a scene, when we
have at least two different viewpoints of it. Here is a new example with
a drone flying in the middle of a forest of trees, and from which we
process the video stream from the embedded camera...

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ20EBM3PTc>

When the two views of the same scene are distant in space, we speak
of "spatial disparity". In the present case, the two viewpoints are
distant in time, and we then speak of "temporal disparity". This
involves knowing whether the two images of the same scene are acquired
simultaneously, or delayed in time. We can perceive the relief in depth
in this case, with a single camera and its continuous video stream.

Best regards,

--

<https://eureka.atari.org/>