POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Slicing media - is it possible ? : Re: Slicing media - is it possible ? Server Time
28 Oct 2024 04:49:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Slicing media - is it possible ?
From: MichaelJF
Date: 24 Sep 2024 15:37:31
Message: <66f314fb@news.povray.org>
Am 24.09.2024 um 20:14 schrieb Bald Eagle:
> yesbird <sya### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am trying to apply CSG operations to objects filled with media without
>> any success (results also attached):
>> https://povlab.online/?scene=dicom.pov
>>
>> Who knows if it's really possible or I am only wasting the time trying
>> to force it to work ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>> --
>> YB
>
> Media is . . . tricky.

Indeed!

> (Thus why I haven't used it a lot)
>
> Just curious:
> Have you tried the reverse - applying CSG operations to a container and THEN
> filling it with media?
>
> I think that if you read the documentation on the details of how media works, it
> might help - or it may not.  It's so very dependent on what you're trying to do
> and how you're going about doing it.

The section "Multiple Density vs. Multiple Media" may be of help. One
can simulate intersections and unions of media with this approach.

Most freedom you can achieve with user defined functions to control the
density. But it can be very time-consuming to find the right parameters.

Best regards
Michael