POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Negative subscript in while loop : rt_circuiting_is_veeeery_common_in_C=2e? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 20:32:27 EDT (-0400)
  rt_circuiting_is_veeeery_common_in_C=2e?
From: Lars Rohwedder
Date: 17 Jan 2023 01:40:27
Message: <63c642db@news.povray.org>

https://softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/201896/what-is-short-circuiting-in-c-like-languages

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/628526/is-short-circuiting-logical-operators-mandated-and-evaluation-order

> My opinion is that writing code that depends on short circuiting is
> bad practice (i.e. hard to understand and debug - and not so portable,
> as you have now experienced).

But in C those expressions are a quite common idiome, like

#define IsNullOrEmpty(s)  ((s)==NULL || (s)[0]=='\0')

or – even more common - in expressions like this:

if( s && s->value )
{
    …
}

and a lot of C code rely on the short circui rule in these expressions.

And – IMHO – these expressions are not hard to debug, because 's' can be
evaluated easily e.g. in a debugger.

But of course, PovRay scene files are not C. :-)

Lars R.