POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : clutter.mcr and trace() : Re: clutter.mcr and trace() Server Time
25 Apr 2024 23:32:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: clutter.mcr and trace()
From: Mike Horvath
Date: 20 May 2021 20:07:13
Message: <60a6f9b1$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/20/2021 7:45 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> I have only made meshes (yes, and messes) not mesh2 objects.  With regard to
> that, at first glance, it seems odd to me that given 3 vertices, a normal needs
> to be supplied and isn't simply calculated.  But I guess there's involved stuff
> with directionality that needs to be unambiguously provided (at this point).

I suppose an author might want the normal to point somewhere different
than one might expect given the supplied vertices.

For instance, what if a smooth mesh meets another mesh that is at right
angles to it? You likely want the edge where they meet to be super
sharp, but an auto-calculated normal could be rounded or bumpy or whatever.

IIRC, I used a tool a long time ago that asked you to supply an
(arbitrary) cutoff value, at which point the auto-smoothing is turned off.

Mike