POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Speeding up media : Re: Speeding up media Server Time
26 Apr 2024 23:06:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speeding up media
From: Ash Holsenback
Date: 12 Feb 2021 10:59:11
Message: <6026a5cf$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/12/21 7:45 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> On 2/12/21 6:03 AM, Ash Holsenback wrote:

>>> The wiki documentation then needs some updating here or a further
>>> elaboration.
>>>

>> already there: about 2/3 of the way down...
>> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Sampling_Parameters_%26_Methods
>
> Maybe my old eyes, but I see on that page more or less a block of text
> for method 3; then one for method 1 and last one for method 2.

ok... i'm admitting to playing devils advocate to draw out more comments

> For samples min, max in the block for method 1 I see:
>
> "The samples Min, Max keyword specifies the minimum and maximum number
> of samples taken per interval. The default values are samples 1,1. The
> value for Max may be omitted, in which case the range Min = Max will be
> used."

> Which for method 3 is:
>
> - Wrong in suggesting the min and max are both used. Only min is used.
>
> - Wrong in suggesting the default values for method 3 are 1,1. For
> method 3 it is 10.

i see that mention in the paragraph beginning: Sample method 1 and
before paragraph beginning Sample method 2 ... am i picking nits?

fixed: http://wiki.povray.org/content?title=Special:RecentChanges&hidebots=0

> - Wrong in saying samples controls the min and max samples taken per
> interval. In method three the number of samples ultimately taken (where
> the adaptive method is actually working...) is controlled by
> aa_threshold and aa_level. The aa_level really being the limit on the
> recursive depth for the algorithm.

again associated with Sample method 1... if you're buying my previous notion

> I think at a minimum Alain's sentence should be added to the block
> related to method 3 at the top. Plus a note about the default samples
> with method 3 for the single starting interval being the minimum 10.

well i agree on this one ... just wanted discuss other issues before i
addressed