POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Random variation : Re: Random variation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random variation
From: Peter Popov
Date: 27 Sep 2002 02:24:37
Message: <5pt7pu8murepmdt0q9bs4fjrl3l6etdchq@4ax.com>
On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:08:30 GMT, Erk### [at] povrayorg (Erkki

>Yes. Given that the two dice are identical you can't tell the
>difference between 1:4 and 4:1, thus 4:1 is twice as likely to occur
>as 1:1.

I still remember that particular lesson in high school. My math
teacher in high-school, a very good backgammon player BTW, had the
same argument. I then asked whether that meant that playing with a
pair of white dice gave you a better chance of throwing double-6 than
if playing with a black and a white on. We had a good laugh :)

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg