POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Area light : Re: Area light Server Time
18 Apr 2024 12:44:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Area light
From: Alain
Date: 6 Aug 2018 12:50:50
Message: <5b687c6a@news.povray.org>
Le 18-08-06 à 05:32, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> On 8/6/2018 4:51 AM, clipka wrote:
>> Am 06.08.2018 um 07:57 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>>> In one of my scenes, I have constructed my own area light by placing
>>> multiple point lights using spherical coordinates, so that a bulb or sun
>>> is simulated and shadows are smoothed a bit.
>>> However, IIRC, POV-Ray's own area light syntax allows for similar
>>> effects. What are the advantages of POV-Ray area lights over the method
>>> I selected above?
>>
>> Firs of all, from a quick glance at your code it seems to me that you're
>> actually constructing a (uniform) light dome, not an area light. At
>> present, POV-Ray doesn't do light domes (except indirectly via sky
>> spheres and radiosity).
>>
>> The difference between a light dome and an area light is that a light
>> dome covers an entire hemisphere (or even an entire sphere), while an
>> area light is (or simulates) a localized array of light sources.
>>

> Ah, sorry. The lights I created are located at the center of a solar
> system, so they cover a relatively small area of the much larger scene.
> So I am wondering if it might not just be easier to replace the lights
> (the sun) with one area light.
>

> Mike

Yes
area_light RWorld_sun_radius*x RWorld_sun_radius*z 33 33 circular orient
adaptive 0

This will simulate a spherical light

circular squish the area_light into a circle.
orient always make that circle perpendicular to the point currently been
rendered.
adaptive 0 start the sampling with a 2*2 array and subdivide it as needed.