POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Realistic scattering : Re: Realistic scattering Server Time
27 Apr 2024 04:36:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realistic scattering
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 10 Apr 2018 19:52:50
Message: <5acd4e52$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/10/2018 11:53 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 10.04.2018 um 14:01 schrieb IGM:
>> I obtained a quite good result (for my needs), but I still cannot notice any
>> difference in using "albedo"...
>
> `albedo` makes a difference when you set `brilliance` to anything other
> than the default of 1.0.

This note exists in our documentation only where diffuse albedo is
specified - and I missed it. I was too confused about little or no
effect when I tried it. I'm remain foggy on the albedo workings.

- Does the "only works with brilliance != 1.0" not apply to phong and
specular albedo too... Or does it and we don't mention it in our
documentation?

- I've never used 'diffuse albedo' without 'phong albedo' or 'specular
albedo' being specified too as I thought the point was to consider the
contributions together and further that diffuse albedo would be 1.0 and
phong albedo + specular albedo also = 1.0. I see in Igmar's code he has
specular 0.0 so not having the albedo qualifier there likely no issue.
If his specular value were to have been other than 1.0 what would
happen? Might suppose the diffuse calculation would still consider the
specular but would the specular calculation consider the diffuse albedo
value?

- What happens in the reverse if someone specifies plain diffuse but
phong/specular albedo values ?

- We have only two sample scenes using albedo. The first your torus2.pov
and only in the default {} with brilliance unchanged. The other
finish_fresnel.pov where the the diffuse/specular values match as I
expect, but where brilliance is not specified. Should brilliance at
other than 1.0 be added in that scene?

Aside: A sample scene showing an albedo set up versus not with visible
differences would probably be a help.

Bill P.